Trinity Lutheran Church
Fort Bragg, CA
A Brief History
Trinity Lutheran Church was founded by immigrants from Finland on February
17, 1889. The first services were held at Suomalainen Evenkelis Lutheran
Church under the leadership of Henry Turunen with a charter congregation
of 15 members. The congregation eventually affiliated with the Finnish
Suomi Synod in the United States.
From its founding until the1950's worship services were conducted
in the Finnish language. In that decade services were conducted in both
English and Finnish. In 1960 the first non-Finnish speaking pastor, Rev.
Clair Hoifeldt, was called to serve the congregation.
In 1989 the congregation celebrated its 100th anniversary of continuous
service to Fort Bragg and Northern California's Mendocino Coast. A decade
later it was designated as a California Point of Historical Interest.
This page created with Netscape Navigator Gold
Return to Top Page